giovedì 13 settembre 2018

V&A - Dundee direction (1)

I would like to start... from the start. I've been in Dundee so many times. Six, I think. Every time, I could perceive something different. Worry, hope, plans. I come from Italy, from a textile town. That's why I probably feel I'm so close to a city, who had to wonder once: where am I going? 

Last time before now it was on 17th September 2014. I was in Scotland to cover indyref and I reached Dundee the last day. My friends warned us: there are some works near Discovery.

Well, some works... what it looks like now!

Some places I used to know, disappeared. Some are here or they are approaching.And there is The One: the V&A Museum. Well, I'll be soon talking about it, but today I must watch it from this point of view: the Discovery and the ship Captain Scott launched towards a new future.

Were they scared? Of course they were, I guess, but their passion was stronger. Now, this museum shows me the direction we can follow: to keep the past in order to look for the future. Captain Scott's ship and the small boat it offers, they show true nature of this museum, which is opening on Saturday 15th September.

To strive, to seek, to find, to find and not to yield, like in Tennison's Ulysses.


This is the direction. 

By the accident or by design, as I heard on Bbc today about another subject?

By design, of course. Let's come in!

https://www.vam.ac.uk/dundee

http://www.nomosedizioni.it/limportanzadiesseresecondi




Vorrei cominciare... dall'inizio. Da Dundee, dove sono stata diverse volte. Sei, penso. L'ultima, prima di questa, al referendum per l'indipendenza. I nostri amici che ci avvisano: ci sono dei lavori, vicino al museo del capitano Scott, il Discovery Point?

Lavori? Qui è scomparso tanto, ma qualcosa è apparso.

Compreso "lui", il Victoria and Albert Museum. Prima di entrare, lo osservo dalla nave del capitano Scott, quella che lo portò la prima volta in  Antartide, e la scialuppa a bordo. Da dove più di un secolo fa Scott e la sua squadra iniziarono la prima spedizione.

Erano impauriti? Chiaro, ma appassionati.

"To strive, to seek, to find, to find and not to yield". Come nell'Ulisse di Tennyson.

Prima di entrare nel museo del design di Dundee, risento dentro di me queste parole. E alcune più recenti della Bbc che di altro parlavano. Mi è rimasta dentro quell'espressione: by accidenti or by design, per caso o per progetto.

Per progetto, naturalmente. Anzi by design.

Allora presto entriamo. 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento